This area contains general information regarding copyright for USD faculty, staff and students; it does not contain legal advice. The purpose is to provide information about copyright in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act. More information can be found on the consumer information section.
- Disabling File Sharing Software
- File Sharing and Copyright Infringement
- SD Board of Regents Acceptable Use Policy (PDF)
- Student Handbook see the "Information Technology Services" section
Copyright Issues in Education
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Cornell Copyright Decision Tree October 2003
- Copyright and Fair Use from Stanford University Libraries
- U.S. Copyright Office provides copyright basics and information about fair use
Legal Sources for Online Music and Video
You can listen to great music and watch entertaining shows online without running the risks involved with downloading or circulating them using networks that operate outside copyright law. Please use the list of free, legal music and shows provided by Educause on their Legal Sources of Online Content.