Hundreds gather to honor body donors contribution to medicine
The annual service in memoriam of body donors was held Friday, Sept. 12, at the United Church of Christ in Vermillion. A candle was lit at the front of the church for each of the 48 donors in 2007. More than 200 family members of donors, students, faculty and staff of The University of South Dakota’s School of Health Sciences and Sanford School of Medicine attended.
"Today is not a day of mourning but a day of celebration for the gift they gave us," Paul Haeder, president of the second-year medical class, said.
Robert Morecraft, director of the medical and applied sciences program, said students can learn about 80 percent of what they need to know about human anatomy from a textbook. The other 20 percent is variable. That’s why the body donor program is so critical for the human anatomy class. "This gives the students a first-hand experience at anticipating variation," Morecraft said.
Medical, physician assistant, occupational therapy and physical therapy students participate in the anatomy course. They said they were humbled and honored by the donations. "There were countless lessons I could not have learned in a textbook or classroom," medical student Jill Vinzant said.
Devi Chettiar, a physician assistant student, said she chose USD over another school because the other college offered only a computer simulation in its gross anatomy course. She said she learned more than scientific lessons from human dissection. "There is no way to look at a computer simulator and know what it means to be human," Chettiar said.
Chettiar said she has signed papers to become a body donor herself.
"Taps" was played as the 48 candles were extinguished at the end of the service. Ann Settles, assistant professor, human anatomy, said the gift of the donors will never be extinguished in the hearts and minds of the students who will use the knowledge they gained in the lab to more effectively provide health care to patients.
Following the service, the families met with students and were able to ask questions about their experiences in the anatomy course as well as to share stories about their loved ones and what it meant to them to provide their donati
You May Also Like
AUSTIN, Texas — South Dakota senior guard Ciara Duffy was one of five Division I women's basketball players selected to the Academic All-America first team selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Duffy earns Academic All-America honors for the third consecutive season.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — All five South Dakota starters scored in double-figures and the Coyotes completed perhaps the greatest regular season in Summit League history with a 63-58 win against rival and second-seeded South Dakota State in the tournament championship game Tuesday inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
VERMILLION, S.D. – Two University of South Dakota faculty members are partnering with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Sioux Falls agency Call to Freedom to better understand what sex trafficking survivors think about the services they receive — and to learn what services they find most helpful.