PIKE Hosts Annual Week of Service
PIKE Week of Service started April 7 and will end April 12. More than 90 PIKE members and hundreds of students and community members will come together to raise thousands of dollars and service hours to the local community – and beyond.
PIKE Week of Service events include:
- Cards for Kids – The men of Pi Kappa Alpha will create cards for children currently hospitalized at Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care™, in Sioux Falls. Each year, more than 60,000 children are cared for at Sanford Children’s Hospital.
- Change for Change – The PIKES will live in boxes on campus while collecting funds and canned food items to raise awareness for southeast South Dakota’s homeless population.
- Welcome Table – The USD PIKES will prepare and serve meals to the local Vermillion Community at the United Methodist Church.
- Beyond School Adventures- The PIKES will travel to Jolley Elementary School to take part in Beyond School Adventures.
- Mercy Meals – PIKES will travel to Yankton, South Dakota, to volunteer at Mercy Meals to package meals for starving children living in developing countries around the world.
- 13th annual PIKES in the Park – A fundraiser that benefits Cure Kids Cancer will be held Thursday, April 11 from 5 – 7 p.m. at Prentis Park in Vermillion. For $5, attendees will enjoy Heck’s Dakota Style BBQ, lawn games and music.
- Hospital Celebration – Friday, April 12, the USD PIKES will travel to Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care™, in Sioux Falls to host a celebration for children and hospital staff. Care packages, cake and cards will be delivered to the hospital at this time.
- Non-Perishable Food Drive – USD’s four sorority chapters painted PIKE letters and will donate non-perishable food items to benefit the Vermillion Food Pantry.
During the 2017-18 academic year, PIKE Week of Service helped the chapter make a significant impact. The PIKES raised more than $41,500 for charity, and the men gave more than 13,300 service hours, respectively.
You May Also Like
AUSTIN, Texas — South Dakota senior guard Ciara Duffy was one of five Division I women's basketball players selected to the Academic All-America first team selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Duffy earns Academic All-America honors for the third consecutive season.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — All five South Dakota starters scored in double-figures and the Coyotes completed perhaps the greatest regular season in Summit League history with a 63-58 win against rival and second-seeded South Dakota State in the tournament championship game Tuesday inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
The University of South Dakota is set to host the fifth annual Student and Alumni Networking Mixer on Feb. 23 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Muenster University Center Ballroom.