Regents Launch Search for Next Executive Director
Board President Bob Sutton says the regents seek a highly-qualified individual to build upon a sound statewide academic tradition, supporting the higher education needs of a student population numbering 36,600 and a faculty and staff of about 5,100.
“This position offers great opportunity to an individual who will bring confident, discerning, and stable leadership to South Dakota's public system of higher education, consisting of the state's six broadly diverse public universities and two special schools,” Sutton said.
The constituent panel represents groups who work within and closely with the public university system. Accepting appointment to the constituent panel are the following:
• Faculty Members—Robb Winter, department head and professor, SDSM&T Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering; Urla Marcus, director, BHSU Center for American Indian Studies; and Dave Grettler, NSU professor of history.
• Student Members—Teagan McNary, USD; Tyler Harris, NSU; and Nick Alholinna, DSU.
• Institutional Executives—SDSU President Barry Dunn; DSU President José-Marie Griffiths; Marje Kaiser, superintendent of the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired and the South Dakota School for the Deaf.
• Institutional Administrators—Venky Venkatachalam, dean of the USD Beacom School of Business; Heather Forney, SDSM&T controller and director of finance; Dennis Hedge, SDSU provost and vice president for academic affairs.
• Foundations, Alumni, and Industry—Steve Meeker, BHSU vice president for university advancement; Rich Naser, president of Zeal Center for Entrepreneurship, Sioux Falls; Dan Rykhus, CEO of Raven Industries, Sioux Falls.
• Board System Staff—Janelle Toman, director of communications; Nathan Lukkes, assistant vice president for research and economic development; Guilherme Costa, general counsel.
• State Legislature—Rep. Timothy Johns, Lead; Sen. Jeff Partridge, Rapid City; Sen. Brock Greenfield, Clark; Rep. Dan Ahlers, Dell Rapids.
• Governor’s Staff Representative—Liza Clark, commissioner of the Bureau of Finance and Management.
• Department of Education—Secretary Don Kirkegaard.
• Board of Technical Education—Diana VanderWoude, Sioux Falls.
The next executive director will succeed Michael G. Rush, who leaves the South Dakota higher education system later this month.
The search is being assisted by James McCormick, Janice Fitzgerald, and Tom Layzell of AGB Search. Applications and nominations are being accepted until June 18. View more information about the search process and instructions for applications and nominating candidates.
You May Also Like
AUSTIN, Texas — South Dakota senior guard Ciara Duffy was one of five Division I women's basketball players selected to the Academic All-America first team selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Duffy earns Academic All-America honors for the third consecutive season.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — All five South Dakota starters scored in double-figures and the Coyotes completed perhaps the greatest regular season in Summit League history with a 63-58 win against rival and second-seeded South Dakota State in the tournament championship game Tuesday inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
Two University of South Dakota faculty members are partnering with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Sioux Falls agency Call to Freedom to better understand what sex trafficking survivors think about the services they receive — and to learn what services they find most helpful.