USD Fraternity Receives Highest Award During International Event
The Smythe Award, named after Junior Founder Robert Adger Smythe, is presented once a year. Chapters who receive this honor have achieved academic excellence, contributed to their community through service and philanthropic events, distinguished themselves as leaders on campus and lived by the values of the fraternity. It is the fraternity’s preeminent honor. The Smythe Award recognizes the top percent of Pi Kappa Alpha chapters. There are more than 220 chapters in the United States and Canada.
During the 2018-19 academic year, the USD PIKES produced the following accolades:
- Donated more than $41,850 to philanthropic causes, most benefiting local sick and injured children
- Committed over 13,540 hours to community service
- More than 40 PIKES were named Dean’s List Scholars at USD
- Brothers received over $100,000 in scholarships
- 100% campus involvement amongst members
- Held more than 60+ campus leadership roles
- Athletics success through intramural sports
- Nearly 70 USD PIKES attended PIKE University throughout the country (#1 internationally)
The Smythe Award honors the dedication and passion of young men who have committed to the meaning of Scholars, Leaders, Athletes, Gentlemen – Pi Kappa Alpha’s cornerstones – while supporting the community and each other.
Chapter president Logan Rahn, a third-year business marketing student from Sioux City, Iowa, said he is honored to be part of this brotherhood.
“Being a PIKE at USD is an honor because of the men who belong to our chapter,” Rahn said. “Our fraternity enhances the college experience, and we would not have this success without the passion our brothers, alumni and advisors have for the chapter.”
In addition to the Smythe Award, the chapter was bestowed the following top honors, respectively:
- Raymond L. Orians Excellence Award, PIKE’s second-highest international honor
- Chapter Alumni Advisory Board of the Year
- Programming Award for International Fraternity Participation
- PIKE University Highest Attendance
- Top Attendance Award for The Academy
- 100% phi phi k a Club
- 25 man PIKE University Commitment
You May Also Like
AUSTIN, Texas — South Dakota senior guard Ciara Duffy was one of five Division I women's basketball players selected to the Academic All-America first team selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Duffy earns Academic All-America honors for the third consecutive season.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — All five South Dakota starters scored in double-figures and the Coyotes completed perhaps the greatest regular season in Summit League history with a 63-58 win against rival and second-seeded South Dakota State in the tournament championship game Tuesday inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
VERMILLION, S.D. – Two University of South Dakota faculty members are partnering with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Sioux Falls agency Call to Freedom to better understand what sex trafficking survivors think about the services they receive — and to learn what services they find most helpful.