USD Fraternity Receives Highest International Award for Eighth Consecutive Year
The Smythe Award, named after Junior Founder Robert Adger Smythe, is presented once a year. Chapters who receive this honor have achieved academic excellence, contributed to their community through service and philanthropic events, distinguished themselves as leaders on campus and lived by the values of the fraternity. It is the fraternity’s preeminent honor. The Smythe Award recognizes the top percent of Pi Kappa Alpha chapters. There are more than 220 chapters in the United States and Canada.
During the 2019-20 academic year, the USD PIKES produced the following accolades:
- Donated more than $30,00 to philanthropic causes, most funds supported local sick and injured children
- Committed over 17,000 hours of community service
- More than 40 PIKES were named Dean’s List Scholars at USD
- Top tier in G.P.A. – cumulative chapter G.P.A. of 3.465
- Brothers received over $150,000 in scholarships
- 100% campus involvement amongst members
- Held more than 50+ campus leadership roles
- Athletics success through intramural sports
- More than 60 USD PIKES attended PIKE University
The Smythe Award honors the dedication and passion of young men who have committed to the meaning of Scholars, Leaders, Athletes, Gentlemen – Pi Kappa Alpha’s cornerstones – while supporting the community and each other.
“Our fraternity enhances the college experience, and we would not have this success without the passion our brothers, alumni and advisors have for the chapter," said chapter president Andrew Tiede, an incoming fourth-year business accounting student from Sioux Falls. "It’s an honor to be a USD PIKE.”
The Smythe Award is based upon excelling in 16 areas of chapter operations: membership recruitment, chapter programming, scholastics, philanthropy, community service, member retention, member and new member education, athletic performance, management, risk awareness, campus involvement and leadership, community involvement, consultant vision analysis scores and international involvement.
In addition to the Smythe Award, the chapter was bestowed the following honors, respectively:
- Raymond L. Orians Excellence Award, PIKE’s second-highest international honor
- Chapter Alumni Advisory Board of the Year
- Programming Award for International Fraternity Participation
- PIKE University Highest Attendance
- International Fraternity Involvement Award
- 100% phi phi k a Club
- PIKE University 25 Man Commitment
You May Also Like
AUSTIN, Texas — South Dakota senior guard Ciara Duffy was one of five Division I women's basketball players selected to the Academic All-America first team selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Duffy earns Academic All-America honors for the third consecutive season.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — All five South Dakota starters scored in double-figures and the Coyotes completed perhaps the greatest regular season in Summit League history with a 63-58 win against rival and second-seeded South Dakota State in the tournament championship game Tuesday inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.
The University of South Dakota is set to host the fifth annual Student and Alumni Networking Mixer on Feb. 23 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Muenster University Center Ballroom.