Skip to main content

The South Dakota Board of Regents sets the policies for students called to military service.

  • If you are deployed in the middle of a semester, you may be eligible for a full refund, or – if 75% of the semester is completed – to take the current grade you have in the class (if "C" or better).
  • When you return from active duty, you may be able to continue your degree program and same catalog year. You must provide USD with statement of "Intent to Return" before you leave.
  • If you have student loans, you can request a military deferment so that you do not have to pay them back while you are on deployment. An absence in school attendance may trigger your loan grace period and start the repayment process. Contact the USD Office of Financial Aid for details.
  • Even if you do not have to interrupt a semester for your deployment, you must contact USD Veteran Services to keep your USD email and Web Advisor accounts active while you are gone.
  • Depending on your duty station, consider taking online classes to fulfill some of your degree requirements.
  • Upon returning from deployment and honorably discharged from Title 10 orders, you will be classified as a "veteran."
    • Possible eligibility for a new GI Bill®
    • Independent status when filling out FAFSA (contact the Office of Financial Aid for details)
    • State Veteran Bonus (if applicable)
    • Veteran license plates
    • "Veteran" indicated on your drivers license
    • VA Healthcare
  • When you return from deployment, many offices and agencies may request a copy of your DD Form 214, Member 4 copy (Discharge Papers).