Skip to main content

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB)

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans who received an Honorable Discharge, earned a high school diploma or GED (or earned 12 college credits in some cases) and meet the requirements of one of four Montgomery GI Bill® categories. For more information on the Montgomery GI Bill® visit the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs or call 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

Tips for Applying

For active duty or veterans of active duty, who contributed $1200

  • Complete and submit and application for the GI Bill®.
  • Apply one time only, even if you switch schools. If you change chapters, you will then need to apply for the new benefit. Apply for benefits at
  • Under how do I apply select "find your education benefits form." Answer the questions as they apply to you and select apply now. Sign in to start your application.
  • Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990. At the end of your application, you will have the opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading these documents will help reduce the time needed for the VA to approve your claim. Documents must be under one megabyte in size. If documents are not uploaded during your online application process, you will need to fax or mail these documents to the VA (VA fax: 314-552-9741).
    • Upload your DD214, Member 4 copy
    • Upload your Army/Navy College fund page from your enlistment contract (if applicable)
    • Upload your "$600 buy-up kicker" contract (if applicable)
  • Upon competition of your application and the upload of supporting documents, submit your application. Be sure to write down your reference number.
  • Print a copy of your application for your records.
  • After submitting your application, you will need to complete a USD Veteran Information Sheet before USD can submit the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits.
  • The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when your application is approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to USD Veterans Services in the Office of the Registrar. The VA does not contact USD about your benefits. You will be the first to know.
  • If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at