Skip to main content

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides expanded benefits for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective on August 1, 2009.

For detailed information on the Post 9/11 GI Bill® visit the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs or call 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

Transfer of Post 9/11 GI-Bill® Benefits to Dependents

If you would like to transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to your spouse or dependents, please visit the Department of Defense website for additional information.
Note: You must still be currently serving in order to make the initial benefits transfer. Amount of months can be modified after you separate from the service by contacting the VA.

Transfer of Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Tips for Applying

For active duty, mobilized reservists, AGR, or dependents with a "Transfer of Entitlement" and certain Public Health Service employees/dependents

  • You only need to fill out an application for the GI Bill® once; even if you switch schools. If you switch chapters, then you will need to apply for the new benefit
  • Apply for benefits at
  • Under how do I apply select "find your education benefits form." Answer the questions as they apply to you and select apply now. Sign in to start your application. 
  • Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990 Dependents using transferred benefits will fill out form 22-1990e All questions are in reference to the student, unless it specifically asks for the veteran's information
  • You will be asked which benefit you would like to relinquish. If you are a reservist, you must relinquish CH 1606 MGIB-SR. if you had a kicker and would like it to be applied to CH33 Post 9/11
  • You will be asked for an effective date of benefits. Make sure this date is prior to start of the semester. This date should also be after the semester in which you last used any other GI Bill® benefits
  • At the end of your application, you will have an opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading your documents at this itme will help reduce the the amount of time needed for the VA to approve your claim. Documents must be under one megabyte in size. If you do not upload the documents during your application, you will need to fax or mail them to the VA. (VA fax: 314-552-9741).
    • Upload your DD214, Member 4 copy
    • Upload any Title 32 orders (ADSW, ADOS, etc.) as these may help to increase your percentage after your initial award for active duty service (National Guard/Reservists only)
    • Upload the page from DOD that shows the benefits were transferred to you (Dependents only). This is not required, but could save you time
  • Upon completing the application and document uploads, submit your application. Be sure to write down your "reference number"
  • Print a copy of your application for your records
  • After submitting your application you will need to fill out a USD Veteran Information Sheet before we can send in the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits.
  • The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to USD Veterans Services in the Registrar's Office, Belbas Center 212 The VA does not contact USD about your benefits; you will be the first to know. If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at