Skip to main content

Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) provides educational assistance to members of Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. REAP ensures certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 are either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. For more information on the Reserve Educational Assistance Program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

Tips for Applying

National Guard/Reserve members who were mobilized for active duty service for 90 days or more may be eligible. This GI Bill® benefit is only available while you remain in the National Guard/Reserve

  • You only need to fill out an application for the GI Bill® once; even if you switch schools. If you switch chapters, then you will need to apply for the new benefit
  • Apply for Benefits at Under how do I apply select "find your education benefits form." Answer the questions as they apply to you and select apply now. Sign in to start your application. 
  • Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990. At the end of your application, you will have an opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading your documents at this will help reduce the the amount of time needed for the VA to approve your claim. Documents must be under one megabyte in size. If you do not upload the documents during your application, you will need to fax or mail them to the VA. (VA fax: 314-552-9741).
    • Upload your DD214, Member 4 copy
    • Upload your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (if you have never used Chapter 1606 benefits)
    • Upload your Kicker contract (if applicable)
    • Upload your "$600 buy-up kicker" contract (if applicable)
  • Upon completing the application and document uploads, submit your application. Be sure to write down your reference number.
  • Print a copy of your application for your records
  • After submitting your application you will need to fill out a USD Veteran Information Sheet before USD can send in the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits. The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to USD Veterans Services in the Registrar's Office, Belbas Center 212. The VA does not contact USD about your benefits.You will be the first to know. If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at