Dual Credit Course Registration
Important information and next steps for Dual Credit course registration. Your course registration(s) will be confirmed via email and indicate you can start to complete these steps.
Confirming your Registration
You will receive an official confirmation email for each course you've successfully registered for. This email will include your student ID number, course title and section you've registered for, instructor and important dates. Please refer to your individual confirmation email(s) for this detailed information about your course registration.
Accessing Your Online Course
You will use a learning management system called Desire2Learn (D2L) to access course materials, receive and submit assignments, and participate in online discussions with your classmates and your instructor. Self-Service is our student registration system which provides course listings, grade, and program evaluation information for USD faculty, students and their advisors.
Important information for students who are enrolled in dual credit coursework at the University of South Dakota:
- USD email account/MyUSD Portal
- Desire to Learn (D2L)
- USD Bookstore/First Day Access (FDA) Material
- Billing/Paying for your course
Additional information regarding each of these resources can be found in the tabs below.
Support, Helpful Tips & Resources
Dual Credit Advisor, Claire Rizzio
Step One: Set up your USD Email Account
**Please check your USD email inbox frequently as you will receive important course information throughout the semester.
If you started coursework at another South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) institution, you will continue to use that email account to log in to your D2L account.
- Go to https://td.usd.edu/TDClient/33/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=21 and follow the steps. In Step 1 be sure to choose USD Student. All official USD communication will be sent to your USD email account and/or in the myUSD Portal.
- You can use your USD email Username and Password to log into myUSD Portal: my.usd.edu. The Portal is a centralized communication portal for USD News, Information, Announcements, etc.
Step Two: Install Duo Security on your USD Account
*USD requires Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for all faculty, staff and students* Duo security is a company that provides a cloud-based software service that utilizes two-factor authentication to ensure access to services and data. Learn more by clicking here.
- Install Duo Mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Visit http://link.usd.edu/duo
- Sign in with USD user name and password
- Follow instructions on the screen
After completing the above steps correctly, you should have immediate access to your USD email and MyUSD portal.
Step Three: Complete the Interactive, Online Course Readiness Check
Follow the steps listed here carefully so you will be ready to participate in your course and be comfortable with the Desire2Learn (D2L) online learning environment.
Go through our interactive, online course readiness check:
Please follow these steps carefully so you will be ready to participate in your course and be comfortable with the Desire2Learn (D2L) online learning environment.
**Please note, it may take 2-3 days before you can log into the D2L website while our systems update your new student information. Additionally, your courses may not show in D2L until the first day of courses**
- Access D2L through the link above and follow the steps provided or in the myUSD Portal, click on the Home tab and then click on the link listed D2L: Desire2Learn.
- Enter the same username and password created in step one.
- *If you started coursework at another SDBOR institution, you will continue to use your login credentials from that institution.
- You will gain access to the course on the first day of class.
- Visit the D2L Audio/Video Tutorial here.
Order your textbook(s) for your course
- In the myUSD Portal, on the Campus tab, scroll down to Student Life & Activities and click on the Bookstore link.
First Day Access (FDA)/Inclusive Access
- Some courses are part of a First Day Access (Inclusive Access) program where a student enrolled in the course automatically gains access to discounted digital material and does not make a purchase unless they choose to buy a loose leaf print version.
- An FDA course material fee is automatically charged to a student’s university bill. A student can choose to opt out of FDA material by the deadline through their USD online bookstore eLibrary account. The deadline is listed in their eLibrary account.
- A student can access the material through USD's LMS platform, D2L unless the instructor tells them otherwise. Access information is listed in the student’s USD online bookstore eLibrary account.
- Please contact Charlie's Bookstore & Fan Shop if you need further assistance.
You are financially responsible for courses in which you are registered. To receive a 100% refund, you must complete and process the appropriate drop or withdrawal paperwork on or before the 100% Refund Deadline. These dates are included in your official course registration confirmation email.
All Tuition and fees are due by the third day of the term. If any charges are added after the third day of the term, those charges are due by final fee payment.
1. Billing Questions
Contact the Business Office at 605-658-3650 or email email@example.com.
2. Billing Invoices
SDePay Electronic Bill and Payment System is the official means of delivering tuition bills to all students at The University of South Dakota and the South Dakota Public University System. All enrolled students will have an eBill posted to their SDePay account. Paper bills are not mailed. Students will receive a notice in their University assigned email account when their eBill is ready to be viewed on SDePay. The eBill details the amount due (tuition, fees, and other miscellaneous charges) as well as electronically applied financial aid payments and personal payments.
3. How to pay your Bill
Go to the Billing & Payment webpage and follow the steps to pay your bill. eCheck payment is from a checking or savings account of a U.S. Bank and is a free service. Credit or Debit cards (American Express, MasterCard, Discover and Visa cards are accepted) may be used and are subject to a 2.75% service fee payable to the host provider of SDePay.
If you are paying by a personal check or money order, please write the student ID on the memo line and mail (along with a copy of the eBill) payment to:
The University of South Dakota – Business Office
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069
Dropping or Withdrawing from Your Course
To Drop or Withdraw from your course(s) and receive a 100% refund, the appropriate paperwork needs to be submitted prior to the 100% Refund Deadline listed in your official course registration confirmation email.
Add/ Drop/ Withdraw your courses
Use the button below to submit the request to add, drop or withdraw from dual credit courses.
- To Add a dual credit course, the form linked above must be submitted by the third day of the term.
- To Drop or Withdraw from your course(s) and receive a 100% refund, the form linked above must be submitted prior to the 100% Refund Deadline listed above in the “100% Refund Deadline” column.
- To Drop or Withdraw from your course(s) and receive a “W” grade, the form linked above must be submitted prior to the date listed in the “Last Day to Drop for a “W” Grade” column.
Any student who fails or withdraws from a HSDC course will no longer be eligible for the program in future semesters, absent a showing of good cause. Students who earn a F or W grade and who wish to continue in the program must meet one of the three options below:
- Show good cause by having a BOR GPA of 2.5 or higher, showing a prior record of success in the HSDC program (for BOR institutions only).
- Show good cause by documenting extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student which contributed to the F or W grade(s). Good cause may include, but is not limited to: illness, injury, an illness or death in the family, or unusual academic circumstances.
- Regain eligibility in the program by:
- successfully repeating the course(s) in which the F or W grade(s) were earned, and
- paying the full HSDC tuition rate of $145 for the repeated course(s). This includes the portion of tuition typically paid by the state.
Contact Claire Rizzio, USD’s dual credit advisor, at Claire.Rizzio@usd.edu or at 605- 658-6132 with questions or for more information.