Departments & Facilities
The Department of Art will provide you with unique and applicable real-world experience and connections that enable you to immerse yourself in an environment built for personal and creative discovery.
Here are some of the facilities and resources available to sculpture students:
- 7,046.67 sq. ft. sculpture studio
- Fully equipped woodworking area
- Saw stop safety table saw, band saws, panel saw and abrasive chop saw
- Variable speed drill press
- Horizontal edge sander and combination sander 10” jointer, 15” spiral-head plainer
- Fully equipped metal fabrication area 220v MIG, TIG welders, 115v MIG welder, plasma cutter, a gas forge, medium-duty oxyacetylene carts, pedestal grinders, abrasive belt grinder, Hossfeld bender, hand and handheld power/pneumatic tools
- Dedicated mold-making area
- Large individual graduate studios
- Installation indoor and outdoor exhibition spaces across campus
Little Pour on the Prairie
For the past eight years, the Little Pour on the Prairie has delighted a community of artists, educators, enthusiasts and spectators with breathtaking sights of an iron pour. The Little Pour on the Prairie, South Dakota’s first public iron pour, has made a name for itself in the iron casting world, and since its creation, more people flock to the community-based event every year. Anyone can participate in the Little Pour, this year it had participants from nine different states from as far away as Oregon.