David C. Lane joined the university in 2013 after receiving his Ph.D. from the University
of Delaware in Sociology. He has previously taught at Virginia Commonwealth University,
Richard Bland College of the College of William and Mary, and the University of Delaware.
His research has been published in numerous journals and books. Currently, he serves
as the Chair of the Social Problems Theory Division of the Society for the Study of
David C. Lane is interested in teaching Social Problems, Deviant Behavior, Criminology,
Tattooing, Social Psychology, Collective Behavior and Social Movements, and White
David C. Lane is currently writing an ethnography about tattoo workers in Baltimore,
Maryland. He is also currently involved in research that examines the relationship
between the presence of business establishments (particularly tattoo shops) and violent
crime; and research to understand white collar crime in the aftermath of social breakdown.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Lane, David. Understanding Body Modification: A Process Based Framework. In Sociology Compass.. (DOI: DOI: 10.1111/soc4.12495)
- Lane, David. Tattoos. In The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty.. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2017.
- Lane, David, and DeCamp, Whitney. 'Sports will Keep 'em out of Trouble': A Comparative Analysis of Substance Use among
Adolescents. Journal of Sport and Health Research, 2017.
- Lane, David. Marks of Civilization: A cultural examination of tattooing. Teaching Resources and Innovations Library of the American Sociological Association, 2016.
- Lane, David. Tats All Folks: An Analysis of Tattoo Literature. Edited by Tiffany Jenkins, 398-410. Vol. 8, Iss. 4. Sociology Compass , 2014. (DOI: 10.1111/soc4.12142)
- Lane, David. Explaining Body Deviance with Stigma and Carnival of the Grotesque. In Understanding Deviance: Connecting Classical and Contemporary Perspectives, edited by Tammy A. Anderson. Routledge , 2014.
- Anderson, Tammy A., Swan, Holly, and Lane, David. Institutional Fads and the Medicalization of Addiction, 476-494. Vol. 4. Sociology Compass , 2010.
- Lane, David. A Guide for Graduate TA Professional Development. In Teaching Handbook: Select Excerpts. Newark, Delaware: Center for Teaching and Learning , 2009.
- Lane, David, Bromley, David G., Hicks, Robert S., and Mahoney, John S.. Time Crime: The Transnational Organization of Arts and Antiquities Theft. In Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 243-262. Vol. 24..
- Lane, David. The Other End of the Needle..