- Applicants to the program must have completed a bachelor's/master's degree from an accredited college or university before entering. No preference is given to any specific major.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Clinical and work experiences will not be accepted in place of coursework.
- Applicants must complete all prerequisite coursework by June 1 of the year of intended enrollment.
- Required coursework graded pass/fail, survey courses and CLEP credits will not be accepted for any of the hours.
- An exception for general psychology may be permitted. Requests for this exception must be approved by the program director.
- The minimum requirement for application to the PA program is a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. For additional information see the selection criteria.
- Grades below C are not accepted for prerequisite coursework.
- All students must meet the technical standards required for program entry.
- Completed 500 patient care experience hours prior to the submission of the CASPA application.
- The GRE is not required at this time.
Survey courses will not be accepted for prerequisite requirements. The following prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Two semesters of biology - Eight credit hours
- Two semesters of chemistry with lab - Eight credit hours
- Two semesters of anatomy and physiology with lab - Eight credit hours*
- Microbiology - four credit hours (lab required)**
- Biochemistry - Three credit hours***
- General Psychology - Three credit hours
- Abnormal Psychology - Three credit hours
- Statistics - Two credit hours; e.g., biostatistics, general statistics, psych statistics, etc.
*If anatomy and physiology are taken separately, a minimum of one lab is required if not offered with both courses.
**USD graduates - please note USD’s MICR 230/232 (Basic Microbiology) are not accepted for this requirement. Only MICR 420/421 are accepted from USD; MICR 320/321 will be accepted from previous catalogs.
***Combined organic/biochemistry courses are not recommended, but if taken must be 300 level (Junior) or above.
****Beginning with the April 2016 application cycle, calculus will no longer be accepted for statistics.
The physician assistant studies program does not grant advanced placement to any applicant admitted to the program. No program courses will be waived, and no advanced credit for any previous course work will be given even though it may be similar or identical to course work in the program. All courses are designated as required and must be taken by every student.
Graduates of Foreign Institutions
Applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents may apply. Applicants with a degree outside of the U.S. must have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree as verified by World Education Services, and a minimum of 40 semester hours from a regionally accredited U.S. higher education institution. It is highly recommended that these 40 hours include the majority of the required prerequisites and/or upper level science courses.
The PA program requires a course-by-course evaluation including verification of lab components where required to be completed and included in the CASPA application. Admission will not be considered and credit will not be reviewed for possible transfer acceptance until a report is received.
The Graduate School requires the Proficiency Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and other international graduate admissions requirements.