VERMILLION, S.D. -- Beginning in May, The University of South Dakota Bookstore will provide students with a new lease on their sometimes budget-focused, hectic lives by offering a new, multi-channel textbook rental program designed to deliver maximum savings and convenience.
This innovative textbook rental program will allow students to rent their textbooks for less than 50 of the cost of purchasing a new printed textbook. Plus, as an added convenience, students will be able to rent their books either in the store or from the store’s website, www.shopcoyotegear.com.
This decision to offer a textbook rental program was a joint decision made by Sheila Gestring, vice president of finance at USD, and Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.
“We are committed to providing students with the widest range of content options and price points available,” said Ann Fraley, vice president at Barnes & Noble College Booksellers. “Whether students are interested in new books, used, digital, unbundled, or now rentals, they know they can find what they want at the USD Bookstore.”
Other program features include:
- Students can pay the rental fees using any form of tender currently accepted by the bookstore (excluding PayPal) – including student financial aid and campus debit cards. (Note: For security purposes, a valid credit card must also be provided regardless of the tender used for the rental fee.)
- Students can highlight or mark the rented books just as they would if they purchased a book and planned to sell it back to the bookstore.
- Students can convert their rental to a purchase during the first two weeks of class.
- The rental period is for the duration of the term/semester. Books are due back by the last day of finals. Students can return books in person or mail them to the bookstore.
- Courtesy emails will go out as the end of the term/semester approaches reminding students to return their books. Books not returned (or returned in unusable condition) will be subject to replacement and processing fees.
Beginning in fall 2010, more than 300 college and university bookstores began offering textbook rental programs through the campus bookstore. In a follow up survey, more than 90 percent of students said they would rent from the bookstore again.
Watch for more details about the rental program in the coming weeks. For more information about the USD Bookstore, please visit www.shopcoyotegear.com.