Meal Plan Appeals Policy & Process
The meal plan appeals process is in place to provide recourse for those students who wish to have a review of their request to not purchase a full meal plan for medical or other reasons. Students who feel their circumstances should exempt them from the requirement may submit a meal plan appeals form. Once the form has been reviewed, a meeting will be arranged with the appeals board. If a student does not agree with the decision made by the meal plan appeals board, they may appeal this decision to the Associate Dean of Students office within one week of the board's decision.
- Appeals are typically based on medical or financial reasons. In both cases, the appeals board strongly encourages the student to provide supporting documentation. It is the student's responsibility to provide documentation with the appeals form.
- Students needing to provide medical documentation may attain this documentation through the Sanford Clinic Vermillion at 20 South Plum Street or through your primary care provider. A medical professional will assess previous medical documentation or provide an assessment of the student's current status. The Sanford Clinic staff are familiar with both the appeal process and the dining options available through USD Dining Services, and is USD's medical partner in this appeals process.
Appeals not granted for:
- The building in which a student lives.
- Personal convenience (i.e. money can be saved by purchasing groceries).
- Vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free options. Students and family members are encouraged to talk with USD Dining Services to discuss their individual nutritional needs and learn about the food options available through all of the Dining Services locations. A meeting can be arranged by calling 605-677-5899.
- Scholarship status. Resident assistants and athletes on certain scholarships will not be considered for an appeal.
Refunds of Food Service Fees
Students with a food service contract who withdraw from the Regental system will receive a proportional refund at the time of withdrawal of up to 60 percent, after which no refund is available. The balance of flex plan dollars will be refunded at 100 percent.