Benefits to the Student
- Pays an hourly wage determined by the student's level of experience in the tech fellow program.
- Real world information technology work experience.
- An opportunity to work with faculty and staff to have a direct impact on the teaching, learning, and research efforts at USD.
- Earn a generous stipend that is increased each year the student is active in the program.
- Build essential technology and professional development skills directly applicable to the future employment.
- Establish long-lasting professional relationships with faculty, staff, and peers.
Ready to Apply?
Applicants Must Meet the Following Qualifications
- Be a South Dakota resident
- Be a full-time, undergraduate, degree-seeking student
- Complete at least 30 credit hours per academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) while in the program
- Earn satisfactory grades and make satisfactory progress towards graduation
- Have proficiency, or the ability to gain proficiency, in information technology experience and skills to help assist faculty
- Maintain a GPA of 3.00 during the time spent in the program
Requirements of the Tech Fellow
- Each student offered a fellowship must formally accept the requirements and expectations for the program (Institutions may award up to one hour of credit as part of the program.)
- Tech Fellows are expected to provide around 11 hours per week
- Student Tech Fellows must give an ePortfolio presentation and participate in an exit interview before the conclusion of the spring semester
Application and Selection Procedure
- All Applicants should complete a Tech Fellow Application or reapplication for returning Tech Fellows
- A committee consisting of faculty, administrators, computer support staff, and the Tech Fellows Program Manager will review all applications, contact supervisors (if the applicant is a returning Tech Fellow), and make appointments for applicants.
- Tech Fellows will be selected by July 30th or until all positions have been filled, whichever is later. Preference will be given to returning Tech Fellows; however, efforts will be made to assure a proportional number of appointments for new Tech Fellows.
Tech Fellows Usage
- Technical Support
- Facilitate classroom preparation for technology based delivery
- Assist with campus virtualization efforts
- Programming for campus supported applications
- Provide assistance for library digitalization project
- Website Development & Management
- Maintain web-based information resources
- Migration of new design standards
- Maintain information currency
- Assist with web casting/web conferencing
- Instructional Design Support
- Assist with course design and preparation
- Develop computer-based simulation to be used in class
- Production of multi-media course presentations
- Audio and video capture, editing, and publishing
- Professional Development
- Assist in educational programming for faculty
- Engage in mentoring activities for other student technology fellows
- Coordinate e-learning activities on campus
- Support faculty
- Routine keyboarding functions such as word processing of tests, course handouts, syllabi, and similar functions.
- Entering information or data in any form, electronic or paper, for research projects.
- Preparing presentations for professional meetings, seminars, conferences or the like.
- Entering management data in spreadsheets or databases.
- Performing clerical functions of any type for any faculty or staff member.
- Any activity that requires the Tech Fellow to act as a content provider.
Monthly reports: These reports can be informal, consisting of one short paragraph that explains what the Tech Fellow has been completing during the last month. A reminder e-mail will be e-mailed to the supervisor before the reports are due. Please e-mail the monthly report to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Semester Reviews: Tech Fellow Supervisors are required to submit a written review for each of your Tech Fellows at the end of each semester. The reports should include your Tech Fellow's performance, strengths, weaknesses, and any other comments you may have about your Tech Fellow or the program. A reminder e-mail will be e-mailed to the supervisor before the reports are due. Please e-mail the semester review to email@example.com.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-677-5411.