Employment and Careers at USD
Each of our employees plays an important part in USD’s success and has the opportunity to change the lives of students. USD provides opportunities and facilities associated with large institutions while maintaining a close-knit feel. We're glad you want to be a part of our university community.
USD is an equal opportunity employer. We use an online employment system for South Dakota Board of Regents institutions. Use this system to search for openings at USD, complete an application and attach application materials.
Resources for Employers
Employers who want to recruit university students can list positions, do on-campus interviews, offer internships and take part in job fairs.
Before You Start
- Prior to your hire date, your offer letter will be sent to you via DocuSign. Electronically sign your offer letter along with included documents, such as W-4, I-9 and Direct Deposit.
- Determine if your employment authorization (and VISA, if applicable) documents are current.
- All foreign national employees must report to Human Resources/Payroll office at Slagle 206 to complete new employee paperwork on or before their first day of employment. Please contact Human Resources/Payroll at 605-658-3660 to set up an appointment.
- Parking permit (optional) available at the Business Office.
During Your First Two Weeks
Intro to Yote Life
In your first month at USD, you will be invited to our Intro to Yote Life orientation, a half-day experience that provides new faculty and staff an introduction to USD and a chance to meet other new employees. At this program, you will get all the ins and outs of USD and the Vermillion community, hear from leadership about our collective mission and have a chance to network with other new USD team members. As soon as your new email is set up, be on the look out for an invite from your Intro to Yote Life team.
- On your first day of work: Meet with your supervisor for departmental introductions, tours, discuss job assignments, get set up and organized, etc. Sign into your USD email account to activate it.
- Enroll in health/life insurance benefits. You will receive an email with a link to enroll in benefits online.
- You will receive a new hire packet at your department/from Human Resources, which includes retirement enrollment forms and other information. Complete the forms included in your new hire packet and return to Human Resources/Payroll office at Slagle 206.
- Complete Intro to Yote Life Orientation: Intro to Yote Life provides new faculty and staff an introduction to USD and valuable information about a variety of employee services, resources and privileges. You will receive an email that includes information on completing orientation.
You can find more information at myUSD portal New Employee Onboarding page (your USD login is required to access myUSD portal).
For complete description of benefit plans, visit the SD Bureau of Human Resources (BHR) site. Generally, benefits include:
Paid Time Off
- Vacation Leave - 15 days
- Sick Leave - 14 days
- Holiday Pay - 11 days
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Paid Employee Health Insurance
- Dental, Vision, Hospital and Disability Insurance at Group Rates
- Dependent Health Insurance at Group Rates
- Medical Spending Account
- Daycare Spending Account
- 6% fully matched contribution to state retirement system (401a)
- Access to Long-Term Disability
- Access to Family Survivor Benefit
- Optional Supplemental Retirement Account (457)
- Optional Tax Sheltered Annuities (403b)
Life & Disability Benefits
- Paid $25,000 Life Insurance Benefit
- Paid Accidental Death/Dismemberment Benefit
- Option to Purchase Additional Life Insurance
- Includes Basic Amount of Long Term Care Coverage
And More, including:
- Reduced Tuition
- Paid Professional Liability Insurance
- Training Opportunities
Our students have many opportunities for employment on- and off-campus. Our Academic and Career Planning Center offers help in preparing for a career or searching for hourly employment.
New student workers (work study, graduate students and hourly students) can find the necessary paperwork on the New Employee Onboarding page in the my USD Portal. You will need to log in with your USD username and password.
All foreign national employees must report to Human Resources/Payroll to complete new hire paperwork on or before their first day of employment. Please contact Human Resources/Payroll at 605-658-3660 to set up an appointment.