Departments & Facilities
faculty and staff
Our faculty in the Department of Modern Languages & Linguistics have consistently earned awards for their teaching and scholarship. Our faculty are experts in their fields, contributing to research in Spanish literature and theater, German language and culture, foreign language pedagogy, Russian culture, historical linguistics, sociolinguistics and phonetics.
Russian Placement Testing
If you are interested in taking a Russian language class at USD and have had previous experience with that language, it is highly recommended that you take our language placement test. This exam will help to determine which level of the language you should take as your first course.
To take the exam, follow the steps below:
- Click on the link for the Russian language test.
- Complete the required information (name, email address and your student ID number) and click “Continue.”
- All questions are multiple choice. For each question, click on the letter for the correct answer and then select “Submit Answer.”
- Note: Do not use your browser’s back button or you will be taken back to the registration screen.
- When you have completed the exam, you will be given your score and placement.
- After you have viewed your scores, click “Finished.” Your score will be made available to the language department. You will also have access to your scores using the login information you created in step 2.
- The test should be taken without any notes or other materials and in a quiet setting.