Skip to main content

Military and veteran students at the University of South Dakota

Congratulations and welcome to the University of South Dakota

We are proud to welcome our military service men and women to the USD community. In order to confirm your enrollment at USD, you will need to complete the following steps:
  • Financial Aid: Submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid)
    All military students are encouraged to file the FAFSA. Submitting the FAFSA will determine your eligibility for federal financial aid including grants, work-study and federal loans. (List USD’s code of 003474 on your FAFSA:

Beginning mid-April, financial aid award letters will be mailed to your permanent address. Read all information enclosed with the award letter before accepting your financial aid package. Return any requested documents from USD in a timely manner to avoid delays in processing. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 605-677-5446 with any questions or if you have any unusual circumstances such as loss of income or employment -including separation from active duty- that you may have occurred following your original financial aid application.

  • Submit your University Housing Deposit
    Your $100 housing deposit makes your admission official. Your deposit reserves your spot in the incoming class, provides you with your on-campus housing options and confirms any scholarship offers you receive from USD.

Submit your deposit online

  • Resident Students: Your deposit will be held by University Housing after the start of the semester. Deposit refunds are issued in accordance with the Residence Hall Contract. Housing applications are completed online, and you will be notified when the housing application becomes available.
    • Commuter Students: The University deposit is not required for commuter students. Commuter students will need to contact the Office of Admissions at 605-677-6055 to guarantee enrollment.

      NOTE: South Dakota Board of Regents Policy requires you to live on campus and enroll in a meal plan during the first two years immediately following your graduation from high school. Special permission to live off campus is generally granted to students living full time with parents or legal guardians, students enrolled primarily at off-campus locations and students with dependent children. Please see the complete SDBOR Housing & Meal Plans Policy 3:6 for information on policy exceptions and exemptions.

Should you decide not to attend the University of South Dakota after submitting your $100 deposit, you will have until May 12 (Dec. 20 for students entering the spring semester) to submit a written request to receive a refund of your original deposit. On or after May 12 (Dec. 20 for spring students), deposits will not be refunded if you choose to withdraw your application from the university.

  • Apply to use your GI Bill benefits

    Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website and apply online using the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP). this is a one-time application.
    For additional information on applying for the GI Bill and and veteran/military benefits visit Veterans' Services in the Office of the Registrar
    NOTE: Financial aid and/or GI Bill benefits may not be immediately available. Please plan accordingly for collateral expenses such as relocation, housing and other living costs.

Prior to registering for classes, you will need to complete the following steps:

  • Submit your Immunization Requirements to USD
    All new, readmitted and transferred students are required to provide medically signed proof of TWO properly administered MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunizations OR immune titers for measles (rubeola), rubella and mumps. The immunization form must be completed before you can register for classes at USD.
  • You may submit DD Form 214 in lieu of the immunization form
  • Fax to 605-624-6636 or mail to USD Student Health, 20 S. Plum, Vermillion, SD 57069
Immunization Form
  • Set up your USD email account
    Your USD email will become your primary source for important information from USD. Please check it regularly.

Set up your USD email account

  Complete and submit the online Housing Application or Exemption Request Form
Housing Application or Exemption Request Form
(myUSD portal login required)

Submit the online Housing Application (if you will be living on-campus) or Housing Exemption Form (if living off campus).

  • Select a registration option
    Call the Admissions Office at 603-6658-6200 to sign up for one of our registration events for military and veteran students. Half-day registration sessions are traditionally available throughout the summer (for fall semester registration) and beginning in November (for spring semester registration).
  • After you register
    • Receive your student ID card (2nd Floor – Muenster University Center) on registration day.
    • Bring your military documents (e.g. NOBE, DD 214) to the Veteran Services Office, 212 Belbas Center (605-677-8833)
    • Request an official military transcript to be sent electronically to USD
    • Check to make sure all required USD admissions material is received:
      • Official high school transcripts and any final official college transcripts sent directly to USD.
    • If you are eligible, apply for Tuition Assistance through your service. Contact your unit for details.
      • If you are using Tuition Assistance, please contact the USD Financial Aid Office at 605-677-5446.
  • Books and Parking

Reserve your books online

Purchase your parking pass

  • Childcare
    Military families requiring day care: Vermillion area childcare programs - including USD’s Children’s Center - may require waiting lists. Please plan appropriately.
  • Bill Payment
    After you register for classes, your bill will be available online at your SDePay account.
    You will NOT receive a paper copy of your bill.