Skip to main content
GI Bill/VA Educational Assistance

Military/Veteran students who plan to use federal VA Educational Assistance such as the GI Bill should apply for those benefits through the USD Office of Veterans' Services.

Visit the Office of Veteran's Services

Financial Aid

All military students are encouraged to file the FAFSA (The Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Submitting the FAFSA will determine your eligibility for ;federal financial aid including grants, work-study and federal loans. List USD’s code of 003474 on your FAFSA.

File your FAFSA (

Beginning mid-April, financial aid award letters will be mailed to your permanent address. Read all information enclosed with the award letter before accepting your financial aid package. Return any requested documents from USD in a timely manner to avoid delays in processing. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 605-677-5446 with any questions or if you have any unusual circumstances such as loss of income or employment -including separation from active duty- that may have occurred following your original financial aid application.