Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made the decision to cancel the Young Artist Recital to support continuing statewide efforts to reduce the spread of the virus. We look forward to continuing this competition in 2021.
Information on this page will be updated sometime in the future, but the rules and application process will remain similar.
For more information, please contact Dr. Amy Laursen at (605) 658-3471 or at Amy.Laursen@usd.edu.
High school students in 11th and 12th grade who are a vocalist, pianist, string player or wind/percussion player are encouraged to apply.
Up to five finalists in each division (vocal, piano, string and wind/percussion) will be selected to perform at the recital. Cash prizes, along with USD Music Camp scholarships, will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners at the recital.
- Competition is open to wind/percussion, strings, pianists, and vocalists in the 11th and 12th grades during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Students must complete an on-line application and submit a high-quality video recording containing the selection that will be performed on the Young Artist Recital, if selected, in November. The application and video recording are due Monday, September 28, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
- Acceptable music selection(s) can be any standard solo repertoire, such as music performed at Solo/Ensemble Contests. Music selection(s) must not exceed 8 minutes.
- Strings: Any standard solo repertoire, memorization is not required but is encouraged.
- Winds/Percussion: Any standard solo repertoire. Memorization is not required but is encouraged.
- Voice: Two memorized contrasting selections, preferably at least one in a foreign language. Appropriate repertoire includes art songs, folk songs, and musical theatre selections.
- Piano: One or two solo piano works – concertos, arrangements, or popular music will not be allowed. The selection(s) must be performed from memory.
- If the music requires accompaniment, the video recording must be accompanied. If selected as a finalist, the student may choose to bring their own accompanist, or they will be provided an accompanist from USD, on the November recital.
- Students who submit a recording, commit to perform on the USD Young Artist Recital held at the University of South Dakota on Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 3 p.m., if selected. The recital is open to the public free of charge.
- Finalists for each division will be announced on Monday, October 12, 2020. Each contestant will be notified of their acceptance to perform at the USD Young Artist Recital. Details about accompanists, the rehearsal schedule, lunch, recital, etc. will be included in that correspondence.
- The decision of the USD Young Artist Recital Selection Committee is final.
Young Artist Recital Application
Students must complete the online application and submit a high-quality video recording by Monday, September 28, 2020 by 11:59 p.m. The video recording must contain the selection(s) that will be performed on the Young Artist Recital, if selected. If the music requires accompaniment, the video recording must include live accompaniment.
Finalists for each division will be announced on Monday October 12, 2020. Each contestant will be notified of their acceptance to perform at the USD Young Artist Recital. If the finalist needs an accompanist, students will have a week after being notified of their acceptance to send in their accompaniment part. Photocopies will not be allowed. Details about the specific rehearsals times will be sent out, notifying the finalist of their scheduled time in the hall the morning of November 14.
The USD Young Artist Recital will begin at 3 p.m. It is free and open to the public.
For more information, please contact Amy Laursen.