Three Minute Thesis
Share your research. Win a prize.
The Graduate School hosts the annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition. This competition provides graduate students with an opportunity to communicate the significance and impact of their research project to a non-specialized audience in just three minutes. The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia.
- You must be actively enrolled in a Master’s (Thesis option A) or Ph.D. program and in good academic standing.
- Graduate students who have started their research or creative scholarship project and have gathered preliminary data, and findings are also eligible to participate. It is not necessary for a project to have been fully completed to participate in this competition.
- You must be available to present in person at the 3MT® preliminary round and the final competitions.
- Complete the USD 3MT® Application Form and obtain your research advisor’s signature.
- After the application deadline passes, you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to submit your presentation slide.
3MT 2022 Coming Soon!
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment, laser pointer ) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps, or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
- The first-place winner will be awarded $350 and will participate in the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) Virtual 3MT® competition.
- The second-placed student will be awarded $250.
- The third-placed student will be awarded $150.
For more information, contact the Graduate School at 605-658-6173 or by email at email@example.com.