I received an email about completing a program of study for graduation. What is this?
You need to complete a "program of study" telling the graduate school which courses you took/ will take in order to complete the program.
Depending on your entering semester, we have created templates for you to use based on our course rotation which will aid you.
Generally to complete the form, you will want to:
- Enter all personal information on the top section
- Enter any grades you have for completed classes
- If you have not completed a class, mark “IP” for "in progress" or “FA29” for classes you would take in Fall 2029 (replace 29 with the correct semester) and SP or SU for spring or summer semesters.
- Enter the information for elective classes in the same format as the classes already listed.
How do I complete the internship requirement?
The internship requires a bit “box checking” to complete, but overall is not a particularly difficult to fulfill the obligations—the expectation is that securing and completing at least 150 hours of internship is the bulk of the work. To that end, please ensure that you complete the following tasks:
- Find an internship. This can be done in numerous ways, including searching job sites such as indeed.com. Talk to your professors if you are unsure where to begin!
- Once you've received your offer, you will complete this google form to propose an internship. Generally this is automatically approved but I’ll let you know if I have any concerns (no contact from me means no concerns). Once I receive this you have permission to…
- Enroll for the Internship course – POLS 794. If you are denied permission, please email the Program Coordinator right away. We have to manually provide instructor permission and the system can be finnicky. Please register before the start of the semester otherwise we might need to complete add/drop paperwork (not hard, but just more effort!)
- [International students only] Please complete CPT through the international office then send the request to me. I am not directly involved in that process, but will provide feedback on the form. International office ask that you request the form at least 2 weeks in advance of the start of your internship!
- Complete and sign an agreement with your supervisor which can be found in Appendix A of the graduate student handbook (it is two pages). Handbooks can be found here (scroll down until you see "handbooks"). It’s also probably good to know the handbook exists and where it is located.
- Complete the required 150 hours of your internship based on the agreement in the previous step. If your internship is more than 150 hours long, you need to complete the agreement with your supervisor (150 is just the minimum).
- Complete the requirements of the internship course (POLS 794) on D2L. The includes discussion posts, reflections, and a final report.
When you internship is complete, please direct your supervisor to complete this evaluation. If you do not, I will have to follow up with them.
- Once you complete the internship hours, employer evaluation, and course requirements, your internship comes to an end. You cannot receive a grade for the course until all of the steps have been completed so please check back to make sure you've completed these steps!
Where can I find the MPA Student Handbook?
The University of South Dakota Handbook was designed to help you find a wealth of information and resources to guide you through your academic journey at USD. Our comprehensive handbook is designed to assist students in navigating the university's policies, procedures, and programs effectively. Whether you're a prospective student, a current student, or a faculty member, this handbook serves as a valuable reference tool to help you make the most of your time at USD. Discover details about curriculum requirements, campus services, student organizations, appeals and disciplinay processes, and much more. We invite you to explore the USD Handbook and empower yourself with the knowledge you need to thrive!
Click here to find the list of current handbooks.