The University of South Dakota is committed to celebrating our students' accomplishments and providing them with a memorable graduation experience.
USD will host commencement ceremonies on Saturday, May 7, 2022 in the Sanford Coyote Sports Center. The undergraduate ceremony will be held at 9:30 a.m., and the graduate/professional ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. Students will receive further instruction via email.
We look forward to celebrating our graduates on campus and via a livestream on YouTube. Additional details are provided below.
Commencement Map and Parking
If you are completing your degree:
- Complete your Degree Audit Form/Application for Graduation | Graduate School Graduation Forms (myUSD login required)
- Whether or not you are attending the ceremony, you will need to complete the Diploma Order Form by March 24. If you are a candidate for spring 2022 commencement please contact the Registrar’s Office if you have not received the form.
- If you wish to have your student email migrated to an alumni email, complete the Opt In Form (myUSD login required).
- For regalia pickup/drop-off details and to shop for your graduation celebration essentials, please visit Charlie's Bookstore & Fan Shop. Please visit USD Cap and Gown to order your regalia. The last date to order regalia on-line will be Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 11:50 p.m. (CST).
If you are attending the ceremony
- If you require special needs seating, please contact Disability Services.
- Please arrive at the Sanford Coyote Sports Center dressed in your regalia no later than 40 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- You will not receive your official diploma at the ceremony. You will receive a diploma cover as you cross the stage. Diplomas will be mailed mid-late July 2022.
- There is no limit to the number of guests you may invite to the ceremony, and no tickets required.
Family & Friends
Those who are unable to attend the event in person are welcome to watch the ceremony via the livestream on Facebook or on our website.
There is no limit to the number of guests candidates may invite to the ceremony, and no admission tickets required.
The commencement ceremonies will be held in the Sanford Coyote Sports Center.
Currently, the May ceremonies will be held in the Sanford Coyote Sports Center with unlimited seating. Seating is available for guests with disabilities on a first-come, first served basis, up to 15 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony. Ushers will be available to direct you. If you require special assistance, please contact Disability Services.
Length of ceremony
Undergraduate Ceremony: Approximately 3 hours. Graduate/Professional Ceremony: Approximately 1 ½ hours
A professional photographer will take photos of each graduate. Photos may be purchased directly from the photographer. Guests may take their own photographs during the ceremony, but must remain outside of the candidate seating area, in order to ensure an enjoyable ceremony for all candidates.
Departments and organizations on campus can order cakes through University Dining. To learn about your options and ordering information, contact university catering at 605-677-5665 or email email@example.com. You can also place your order online.