Take a closer look at the academic experience you'll get in the Honors Program at USD.
Your Enriched Academic Experience
The Honors curriculum is designed to work with every major and has multiple paths to completion without adding time to graduation. Get a glimpse into what your experience in the Honors Program will look like.
Honors courses are specifically designed for our students, but they also meet the same academic requirements as equivalent general education courses. However, not every course in the Honors core is an Honors course; in fact, you might only enroll in one Honors class each semester.
This design lets you have the full USD undergraduate experience while taking smaller, discussion-based classes with students who are similarly motivated and come from all majors across campus. We teach you to explore complex issues, develop your own opinions and persuasively share your conclusions in writing and discussion. These are skills that will give you a competitive advantage for your plans after graduation.
The Honors core is made up of Honors classes and general academic requirements. General requirements are courses available to the general student body, while Honors classes are reserved solely for Honors students.
Students entering Honors in their first semester take a minimum of 18 credits of Honors coursework, as follows:
Complete ALL the following courses (15 credits):
- UHON 111 Ideas in History (3 credits) Fulfills SGR #3 Social Sciences
- UHON 211 Interdisciplinary Civilizations (3 credits) Fulfills SGR #1 Written Communication
- UHON 390 Honors Seminars (6 credits) Fulfills elective requirements and may fulfill general education requirements
- UHON 398 Thesis Prep (1 credit)
- UHON 498 Thesis (2-5 credits)
Additional course options to reach (3 credits required to reach 18 Honors credits):
- UHON 100 Honors Experience (1 credit)
- UHON 101 Honors Speech (3 credits) Fulfills SGR #2 Oral Communication
- UHON 110 Honors English (3 credits) Fulfills SGR #1 Written Communication
- PHIL 200 Honors Logic (3 credits)
- UHON 290 Honors Seminar (3 credits)
- UHON 390 Honors Seminar (3 credits)
- UHON 395 Honors Practicum (1 credit)
- UHON XXX Additional Honors sections
NOTE: Transfer credit/dual-credit/AP credit is accepted for all courses except UHON 111, 211, 390, 398 and 498.
In addition to coursework, Honors students complete five required Enriched Honors Experiences (EHEs). Honors EHEs embody the idea that important learning takes place outside the classroom and that this learning enhances what students learn in their coursework. There are a wide variety of EHEs to choose from.
- serving as a leader for a student organization
- holding elected office in SGA
- participating in a week-long service trip through AWOL
- studying abroad or going on a national student exchange
- participating in undergraduate research
- presenting at an undergraduate or professional conference or at IdeaFest
- participating in an internship, student teaching or other professional experience
- applying for a nationally competitive scholarship
- taking additional Honors classes