- You may request to defer the repayment of your loan, which is an interruption of the repayment period.
- If you resume full-time or half-time studies at a nursing school during the grace period, the interrupted grace period is treated as if it did not begin.
- You must notify USD of continued student status by completing a deferment form and sending it to our office every term you are enrolled. During a deferment period on your Nursing Student Loan, interest does not accrue and no payments are required.
- In addition to being responsible for requesting deferments and submitting the necessary documentation, the borrower must contact USD when enrollment is completed or terminated.
- To apply for a deferment you must contact our office.
- Active duty as a member of a uniformed service (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps, or the U S Public Health Service Commissioned Corps) are eligible for deferment for up to three years.
- Volunteers under the Peace Corps Act are eligible for deferment for up to three years. Service in VISTA does not qualify for deferment.
- NSL borrowers who have entered repayment may receive additional deferments for up to ten years for full-time or half-time enrollment in a collegiate nursing school. The program must lead to a baccalaureate or a graduate degree in nursing.
- You may be eligible for an additional ten-year deferment if you pursue advanced training in nursing or training to become a nurse anesthetist. Advanced training is training beyond your first diploma or degree in nursing.
- Due to extraordinary circumstance the borrower may apply for forbearance. This has the effect of temporarily suspending payment of principal, however, interest continues to accrue. Extraordinary circumstances include unemployment, poor health or other personal problems that have a short-term impact on the borrower's ability to make payments.
- Periods of forbearance must be counted as part of the borrower's ten-year repayment period.
- Nursing Student loans may be canceled due to death or permanent and total disability of the borrower.
414 East Clark Street
Slagle Hall - Room 207
Vermillion, SD 57069