Students wishing to become social work majors should contact the department for advising early in the spring semester of their sophomore year prior to earning 48 total semester hours.
- Complete SOCW 200 with a grade of C or higher
- Have an overall grade point average of at least 2.3
- Complete 60 clock hours of volunteer or paid experience in a human services field
- Complete the non-departmental requirements
- Declare a social work major
- Meet with your academic advisor to review your course of study
No credit hours may be awarded for life experience toward the social work major.
Students must submit all application materials in a single packet. Late applications may not receive full review until August. If you have questions about your eligibility, contact the department.
If provisionally accepted, you will be expected to complete a criminal background check. The cost is approximately $100 for the first year and $58 in the second year. These prices are subject to change. Students must also provide proof of immunizations to USD Student Health.
The application consists of:
- Application checklist
- Personal statement
- Letter of reference from a current or former professor (other than a social work professor) or employer
- Letter documenting paid or volunteer work experience requirement
- Most current unofficial transcript
Submit completed documents to:
Attn: B.S.S.W. Admissions
Department of Social Work
School of Health Sciences
Room 212 Julian Hall
414 E. Clark St.
Vermillion, SD 57069
If you have any questions about the program, contact your advisor.