To protect the health and safety of our community, attendance at the University of South Dakota commencement ceremonies on May 8 is limited to those with tickets. Family and friends who are unable to attend the ceremony in person are welcome to watch the livestream in the Muenster University Center; the MUC will be opening at 8:30 a.m. Family and friends can also watch the livestream online.
The University of South Dakota is committed to celebrating our students' accomplishments and providing them with a memorable graduation experience. USD will host commencement ceremonies on Saturday, May 8, 2021 in the DakotaDome. The undergraduate ceremony will be held at 9 a.m., and the graduate/professional ceremony will be held at 3 p.m. Students must RSVP for themselves and their guests in advance, and we cannot accept late replies or changes. Students will receive further instruction via email.
Please know that your health and safety is our top priority. A number of safety measures will be in place:
- Face coverings will be required.
- The space will accommodate physical distancing for both guests/family members attending in the stands and graduates seated below.
- A maximum attendance of 2,700 will be enforced.
While we are looking forward to the opportunity to gather in celebration, please remember that this is a fluid situation and our plans are subject to change; we will continue to follow recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as we make decisions that prioritize the health and safety of the Coyote community.If you are completing your degree:
- Complete your Degree Audit Form/Application for Graduation|Graduate School Graduation Forms (myUSD login required)
- Whether or not you are attending the ceremony, you will need to complete the Diploma Order Form (myUSD login required) by March 29.
(The Diploma Order Form generally becomes available six weeks before your graduation date.)
- If you wish to have your student email migrated to an alumni email, complete the Opt In Form (myUSD login required).
If you are attending the ceremony
- Order regalia online from Balfour/CB Grads by March 28. Graduates are required to arrive wearing the approved graduation regalia. Please wear a face covering.
- If you require special needs seating, please contact Disability Services.
- Students must RSVP for themselves and their guests in advance by March 29. A maximum of four guests per graduate will be permitted.
- Please arrive at the DakotaDome dressed in your regalia no later than 40 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- You will not receive your official diploma at the ceremony. You will receive a diploma cover as you cross the stage. Diplomas will be mailed mid-late July 2021.
Family & Friends
Graduates must RSVP for themselves and their guests by March 29. Four guests per graduate will be permitted. Those who are unable to attend the event in person are welcome to watch the ceremony via the livestream on Facebook or on our website.
The commencement ceremonies will be held in the DakotaDome. Seating is available for guests who were accounted for in the RSVP process; tickets are limited to four maximum per student and will be sent to students via email two to three days prior to the event. Ushers will be available to direct guests and graduates to their seats to accommodate for social distancing. If you require special assistance, please contact Disability Services at 605-677-6389.
Length of ceremony
A professional photographer will take photos of each graduate. Photos may be purchased directly from the photographer. Guests may take their own photographs during the ceremony, but must remain outside of the candidate seating area, in order to ensure an enjoyable ceremony for all candidates.
Departments and organizations on campus can order cakes through University Dining. To learn about your options and ordering information, contact university catering at 605-677-5665 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also place your order online.
Commencement Program Archive
Visit the commencement program archive for access to program booklets from past commencement ceremonies at USD.