Now that you are officially part of the pack, there are a few housekeeping matters to attend to before starting your graduate program. We'll send you updated reminders, so watch your email. For the time being here's what you need to know to get started.
New Student Checklist
USD email account and myUSD portal
- Go to usd.edu/accounts/pickup and follow the steps.
- Use your username/password to log into my.usd.edu/uPortal.
DUO multi-factor authentication
- Set up 2-Factor authentication at usd.edu/duo.
All on-campus students need to submit an immunizations form. You do not need to submit this form if you are an online student or have been a South Dakota BOR student in the past.
Health Sciences Students
Online or on-campus students in the following programs, must fill out and submit the alternative health sciences form.
- Nursing (MSN, DNP, DNAP)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Physical Therapy (PT)
- Occupational Therapy (OT)
- Social Work (MSW)
Contact your advisor for guidance in class selections. Their contact information is in your acceptance letter. You may also contact your enrollment coordinator, if you have questions about the registration process at (605) 658-6140 for assistance with your first registration.
To register, visit usd.edu/selfservice during an open registration period.
Health Sciences Students
Physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy and social work students do not need to contact their advisor, rather watch for a departmental e-mail with registration instructions.
Access Registration Self-Service
Use Registration Self-Service to register for your classes.
- Use your username / password to log into https://my.usd.edu/, access Registration Self-Service through the Quick Links section.
Check your personal and emergency contact information, update if necessary.
Access Financial Aid Self-Service
Use Financial Aid Self-Service to confirm you attendance.
- Use your username / password to log into my.usd.edu/uPortal, access Financial Aid Self-Service through the Quick Links section.
- Select the Student Tab and click on Attendance Confirmation
If not completed each semester, your registration is at risk of being canceled. The Business Office uses attendance confirmation to track status for payments, refunds and financial aid. For questions, please contact the Business Office at 605-658-3650, or email@example.com.
Access Financial Aid Self-Service
- Use your username/password to log into my.usd.edu/uPortal, access Financial Aid Self-Service through the Quick Links section. You can view your financial aid status, eligibility, award and status.
Important: Incomplete or missing contingency items (i.e. missing transcripts) will prevent financial aid awarding and affect billing. Your acceptance letter lists contingencies, if applicable.
Access the Desire2Learn (D2L) Environment
- Use your username/password to log into my.usd.edu/uPortal, access Desire2Learn through the Quick Links section.
- You will gain access to your course(s) on the first day of class.
- Visit the D2L Daylight Tutorial.
Please note: It may take 2-3 days before you can log in to the D2L website while our systems update your information.
All tuition and fees are due by the semester due date. To view the semester due date go to the USD Business Office webpage.
SDePay Electronic Bill and Payment System is the official means of delivering tuition bills to students. Paper invoices will NOT be mailed. You will get an eBill posted to your SDePay account and receive a notice in your USD email account. The eBill details the amount due and any electronically applied financial aid payments, scholarships and personal payments.
How to Pay Your Bill
Order from Charlie's
- Use your username/password to log into my.usd.edu/uPortal, access USD Bookstore through the Quick Links section.
- Log in to the site with your USD username/password to auto-populate your courses and corresponding course materials.
- Follow the screen prompts to check out. Complete your order in fewer than five minutes.
Best deals are found 2-3 weeks before the term begins.
Charlie's has two locations in Vermillion. One downtown at 2 E. Main and the other is on campus on the first floor of the MUC.
You will need the following:
- Your student ID number
- A copy of a government-issued identification
- A headshot (no particular size requirement)
- The address where you would like the ID mailed
Are you ready to access a wide range of worldwide resources? As you advance through your educational journey at USD, we will help you discover and access all the scholarly resources you need for your academic research. Online and on-campus students may use your USD username and password to gain access to the library catalog and electronic databases at University Libraries.
Take advantage of special liaison services no matter where you are. Schedule a consultation with your library liaison to receive personal help. Online students are eligible for the same services as on-campus students. You will have access to library services (including e-books, full text articles and much more), interlibrary loan services, document delivery, borrowing and renewing materials without a trip to the library.
Have Questions? We've Got Answers!
From connecting devices and loading software to computer discounts and troubleshooting your account setup, USD Technology Services provides 24/7 support for USD's students, faculty and staff. Call 605-658-6000, email firstname.lastname@example.org or create a support ticket online at link.usd.edu/servicerequest.
For all other unrelated technology questions, Coyote One Stop is an excellent campus resource where you can ask questions, search the knowledge base of existing Q&As and find resources about all things USD, anytime or anywhere.