Skip to main content

About Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) provides students the opportunity to earn money for their educational expenses. Funding for the program is provided by the federal government with matching contributions from USD. Federal Work Study is available to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need.

How to Apply for Federal Work Study

Other Important Info

  • Federal Work Study is awarded on a priority basis based on the FAFSA receipt date.
  • The amount of Federal Work Study you are eligible to earn is shown on your USD Financial Aid Award Letter.
  • The amount of your Federal Work Study award is determined by your need and the availability of funds at the university.
  • Federal Work Study positions are available in departments and offices throughout the university as well as off-campus community service jobs, such as tutoring elementary students through the public library.

Accepting your Federal Work Study Award

  • Sign your award letter and indicate you are accepting the Work Study offer
  • Return your signed award letter to the Office of Financial Aid Office.
  • Pick up your Work Study Authorization Card at the Office of Financial Aid.
  • Check job listings for available positions online at the Academic & Career Planning Center or inquire at campus departments where you have an interest in working.
  • Have your campus employer sign your Authorization Card indicating your position title, hourly rate to be paid, employer's name and department name.
  • Complete New Hire Forms. You must complete all necessary documents for new employees before you will be eligible to receive your pay check.