Our scientists are focused on asking the critical questions to make discoveries in their field. At the same time they provide our students the opportunity to collaborate on meaningful research.
Our Research Areas
- Anatomy/structural biology
- Cancer biology
- Cellular biology
- Molecular biology
- Dakota Cancer Collaborative on Translational Activity (DaCCoTA)
- Great Plains IDeA-Clinical & Translational Research (GP IDeA-CTR)
Physician Scientist Program
We're training our M.D./Ph.D. students to combine biomedical research and clinical practice. These students will play a unique role in contemporary medical research.
Summer Program for Undergraduate Research in Addiction (SPURA)
This multi-disciplinary summer research program gives USD undergraduate students an opportunity to conduct high-quality, mentored, hypothesis-driven research in fields related to substance use, abuse and related or underlying mental health issues.
Medical Student Summer Research Program (MSRP)
Medical students who have been newly accepted to our medical school have the opportunity to spend their summer as part of research projects. A group of faculty research mentors provide a range of research in which students can participate through the Medical Student Summer Research Program.
Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network (BRIN)
South Dakota's Biomedical Infrastructure Network provides resources to researchers throughout South Dakota. Several of its core facilities are housed at USD. BRIN also allows students to participate in research, particularly through the Undergraduate Research Fellows Program.
Scholarship Pathways Program (SPP)
The Scholarship Pathways Program offers three elective tracks:
- Education: For students with a special interest in academic medicine, teaching and the medical curriculum
- Research: For students with a special interest in clinical or basic science research
- Service: For students with a special interest in community service and leadership development