Skip to main content

The University of South Dakota will generally accept transfer credit of similar content completed at regionally accredited institutions. College credit while still enrolled in high school may or may not be eligible for transfer. Please contact the Office of Admissions ( on questions relating to this policy.

Credits from colleges or universities which are not accredited by a regional accrediting association may also be accepted in transfer, subject to the approval from the dean of the college or school in which the student plans to enroll.

In order to be considered for transfer credit, official transcripts should be mailed to the Office of Admissions:

Office of Admissions
University of South Dakota
Belbas Center
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069

Transfer Equivalency Requests

When a student transfers course work from another college or university to the University of South Dakota, the course is evaluated to determine one of the following:

  • The course transfers as directly equivalent to a specific USD course
  • The course transfer as a discipline-specific course and may count as an elective toward graduation requirements
  • The course is not accepted toward a USD degree

With additional information and appropriate documentation, courses originally processed as "discipline specific" may be reevaluated to the equivalent of a specific USD course. If you believe you have taken a course that has transferred to USD as "discipline specific," but may actually be directly equivalent to a specific USD course, you can petition to have this change made to your transcript using the transfer equivalency request form.

Please use a separate form for each request, listing no more than one course per form. Appropriate documentation about the course which will enable the department chair to make a decision - such as course description, syllabus or course materials - must be included with this request.

Related Links