Advance Your Career with a BSN from USD
National leadership, interprofessional experience and teaching expertise make us the among the best in the nation.
The RN-BSN is an online program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). The program is designed for licensed RNs who have either an associate degree or diploma in nursing. There are several plans of study options for completing the program.
- Traditional Track: 4 semester option (part-time)
- Progressive Track: 1 course a semester option (part-time)
- Accelerated Track: 3 semester option (part-time)
Prospective students are encouraged to speak with a nursing advisor for guidance as needed. Students move through the program in a cohort; cohorts begin each fall, spring and summer. Most students take an average of two courses per semester. The part-time options make it possible for students to work full-time while completing the program. Our accelerated option gives students the opportunity to complete the program within 12 months. Clinical experiences are also part of the program. These clinical experiences may be arranged where students are working or in the community where the student lives.
Why RN’s Should Pursue their BSN Degree
- Hospitals with Magnet Recognition prefer to hire nurses with a BSN
- BSN is required for leadership positions
- Required for entrance into graduate education/nurse practitioner programs
- Recommended by National Organizations such as the American Nurses Association, American Organization of Nurse Executives, National Council of State Boards of Nursing, American Association of Colleges and Nursing, National League for Nursing
The baccalaureate degree in nursing at the University of South Dakota is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001, 202-887-6791.
State Board of Nursing Approval
Both the four-year BSN and the RN-BSN tracks in the Bachelor of Science in nursing program are approved by the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
4305 South Louise Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57106-3115
Applicants will be evaluated for conditional acceptance based on the following criteria:
- Unconditional admission to USD (i.e. student is not on probationary status)
- Graduate of a state board of nursing-approved program required. Students who do not graduate from an accredited program, possess an associate degree or graduate from a diploma nursing program will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Active, unencumbered RN license to practice nursing
- A grade of C or above is required for all support and nursing coursework
- A complete application for the nursing program must be received by the published deadlines.
- Clean criminal background check and drug screen (completed upon notice of conditional acceptance)
Admission is competitive. The number of students admitted is limited by the number of faculty and resources available.
Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance. The department reserves the right to deny admission based on the best interest of the profession. Failure to disclose previous or pending convictions may lead to denial of admission. Falsification of information or documentation will be considered grounds for dismissal from the program.
For more information about the admission requirements, please visit Nursing Admission Policies.
Please note: All courses in the RN-BSN program are subject to specific program fees. Please visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Apply to the University of South Dakota
Submit your application materials to USD Online:
Attn: Online RN-BSN Admissions
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, S.D. 57069
Step 2: Apply to the RN-BSN program
For more information about the online RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing, contact USD Online at 605-658-6200 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.